Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
This security update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow remote code execution when Microsoft .NET Framework doesn't validate input correctly. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could take control of an affected system. The attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts that use full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less affected than users who are granted administrative user rights.
To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker has to pass specific input to an application that uses susceptible .NET Framework methods.
This security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how .NET Framework validates input.To learn more about this vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8540.
- All updates for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 require that the d3dcompiler_47.dll update is installed. We recommend that you install the included d3dcompiler_47.dll update before you apply this update. For more information about the d3dcompiler_47.dll, see KB 4019990.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this security update
- 4470601 Description of the Security Only update for .NET Framework 3.5 for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4470601)
- 4470492 Description of the Security Only update for .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4470492)
- 4470498 Description of the Security Only update for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4470498)