Consider the following scenario:
- You have the Microsoft Skype for Business 2016 MSI client installed.
- You have the October 2, 2018 update or a later update installed (.exe file version 16.0.4756.1000 or a later version).
- You send or receive an IM that contains an emoticon or emoji.
In this scenario, you experience the following behavior:
- The emoticon or emoji doesn’t appear at all when you send or receive the IM.
- Other IM messages in the conversation window are no longer displayed.
- The conversation history of the conversation continues to show the contents of all messages that were sent and received, as expected.
This issue occurs because of a missing prerequisite update.