This article describes the improvements and issues thatare fixed in the Azure File Sync Agent v6 release that is dated April 2019.Additionally, this article contains installation instructions for the update.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
- Agent auto-update support
- We have heard your feedback and added an auto-update feature into the Azure File Sync server agent. For more information, see Azure File Sync agent update policy.
- Support for Azure file share ACLs
- Azure File Sync has always supported syncing ACLs between server endpoints but the ACLs were not synced to the cloud endpoint (Azure file share). This release adds support for syncing ACLs between server and cloud endpoints.
- Parallel upload and download sync sessions for a server endpoint
- Server endpoints now support uploading and downloading files at the same time. No more waiting for a download to complete so files can be uploaded to the Azure file share.
- New Cloud Tiering cmdlets to get volume and tiering status
- Two new, server-local PowerShell cmdlets can now be used to obtain cloud tiering and file recall information. They make logging information from two event channels on the server available:
- Get-StorageSyncFileTieringResult will list all files and their paths that haven't tiered and reports on the reason why.
- Get-StorageSyncFileRecallResult reports all file recall events. It lists every file recalled and its path as well as success or error for that recall.
- By default, both event channels can store up to 1MB each – you can increase the amount of files reported by increasing the event channel size.
- Support for FIPS mode
- Azure File Sync now supports enabling FIPS mode on servers which have the Azure File Sync agent installed.
- Miscellaneous reliability improvements for cloud tiering and sync
More information about the Azure File Sync Agent v6 release
- This update is available for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019 installations.
- Azure File Sync agent version 22.214.171.124 or a later version is required to upgrade existing agent installations.
- A restart may be required if files are in use during the update rollup installation.
- The agent version for the v6 release is 126.96.36.199.
How to obtain and install the Azure File Sync Agent
The Azure File Sync agent is available from MicrosoftUpdate, Microsoft Update Catalog, and Microsoft Download Center.
- If the Azure File Sync agent is not currently installed on a server, use the agent installation package on the Microsoft Download Center. The agent installation package on Microsoft Update and Microsoft Update Catalog is intended for agent upgrades only.
- To update existing agent installations, runAfsUpdater.exe (located in the agent installation directory) or download andinstall the update from Microsoft Update or Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Click Start, and then click Settings.
- In Settings, click Update & security.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Verify the Azure File Sync agent update is listed and then click Install now.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check for updates.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Verify the Azure File Sync agent update is selected, and then click Install.
- msiexec.exe/p packagename.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4489736.log
- msiexec.exe/p StorageSyncAgent_WS2016_KB4489736.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4489736.log
- msiexec /i packagename.msi /qb/l*v AFSv6Installer.log
- msiexec /i StorageSyncAgent_V6_WS2016.msi/qb /l*v AFSv6Installer.log
- Use the /qb switch to display restart prompts(if required), agent update, and server registration screens. To suppress thescreens and automatically restart the server (if required), use the /qn switch.
- To perform a silent installation withcustom settings, follow the steps documented in KB4459986.