Starting with KB4493472 Monthly Rollup updates will no longer include PciClearStaleCache.exe. This installation utility addressees inconsistencies in the internal PCI cache. This can cause the symptoms listed below when installing monthly updates that do NOT include PciClearStaleCache:
- Existing NIC definitions in control panel networks may be replaced with a new Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) but with default settings. Any custom settings on the previously NIC persist in the registry but were unused.
- Static IP address settings were lost on network interfaces.
- Wi-Fi profile settings were not displayed in the network flyout.
- WIFI network adapters were disabled
These symptoms are especially common on guest virtual machines and on machines which have not been updated since March, 2018.
Administrators should ensure that any one or more of the Monthly rollups released between April 10, 2018 (KB4093118) and March 12, 2019 (KB4489878) have been installed prior to installing April 2019 and later updates. Each of these rollup updates includes PciClearStaleCache.exe.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4493453 (released April 25, 2019) and addresses the following issues:
- Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client and Windows Server articles. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions, but disabled by default for Windows Server OS editions).
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator from starting.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent applications that rely on unconstrained delegation from authenticating after the Kerberos ticket-granting ticket (TGT) expires (the default is 10 hours).
- Adds "gov.uk" to the HTTP Strict Transport Security Top Level Domains (HSTS TLD) for Internet Explorer.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Cryptography, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows Kernel, Windows Server, and the Microsoft JET Database.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|Microsoft and McAfee have identified an issue on devices with McAfee Endpoint Security (ENS) Threat Prevention 10.x or McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention (Host IPS) 8.0 or McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.8 installed. It may cause the system to have slow startup or become unresponsive at restart after installing this update.|| |
We are presently investigating this issue with McAfee.
Guidance for McAfee customers can be found in the following McAfee support articles:
|After installing the May 14, 2019 update, some gov.uk websites that don’t support HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) may not be accessible through Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge.||This issue is resolved in KB4505050.|
Internet Explorer 11 may stop working when loading or interacting with Power BI reports that have line charts with markers. This issue may also occur when viewing other content that contains Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) markers.
This issue is resolved in KB4503277.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
Install this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4499164.