This article describes the improvements and issues thatare fixed in the Azure File Sync Agent v8 release that is dated October 2019. Additionally,this article contains installation instructions for the update.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
- Restore performance Improvements
- Faster recovery times for recovery done through Azure Backup. Restored files will sync back down to Azure File Sync servers much faster.
- Improved cloud tiering portal experience
- If you have tiered files that are failing to recall, you can now view the recall errors in the server endpoint properties. Also, the server endpoint health will now show an error and mitigation steps if the cloud tiering filter driver is not loaded on the server.
- Simpler Agent installation
- The Az\AzureRM PowerShell module is no longer required to register the server making installation simpler and fast.
- Miscellaneous performance and reliability improvements
More information about the Azure File Sync v8 release
- This update is available for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019 installations.
- Azure File Sync agent version 126.96.36.199 or a later version is required to upgrade existing agent installations.
- A restart may be required if files are in use during the agent installation.
- The agent version for the v8 release is 188.8.131.52.
How to obtain and install the Azure File Sync Agent
The Azure FileSync v8 release is currently being flighted to servers which are configured toautomatically update when a new version becomes available. Once fightingcompletes, this update will be available on Microsoft Update and MicrosoftDownload Center. Flighting means that the release is offered to a limitednumber of servers first and expands to more severs gradually. It may not beoffered to your server right away even if it’s configured to automaticallyupdate when a new version becomes available. To immediately install the AzureFile Sync v8 update, manually download the update from the Microsoft UpdateCatalog.
To learn moreabout Azure File Sync agent auto-update, see automaticagent lifecycle management.
To obtain andinstall this update rollup, configure your Azure File Sync agent toautomatically update when a new version becomes available or manually downloadthe update from the MicrosoftUpdate Catalog.
Configure your Azure File Sync agent to automaticallyupdate when a new version becomes available
- During the Azure File Sync agent installation(version 6.0 or later), select the “Automatically update when a new versionbecomes available” setting.
- If the agent is already installed (version 6.0or later), run the following PowerShell commands to configure auto-update:
- Set-StorageSyncAgentAutoUpdate-PolicyMode InstallLatest -Day <day> -Hour <hour>
Manually download and install the Azure File Syncagent update from the Microsoft Update Catalog
Go to the following website to manually download thisupdate from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
To manuallyinstall the update package, run the following command from an elevated commandprompt:
- msiexec.exe /p packagename.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUSREINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4511224.log
For example, toinstall the Azure File Sync agent update for Server 2016, run the followingcommand:
- msiexec.exe /pStorageSyncAgent_WS2016_KB4511224.mspREINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater/qb /l*v KB4511224.log