- This update is not intended to target Windows Update for Business (WUfB) managed devices.
- To get this update for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10, version 1809, 1903, 1909, or 2004, see KB4576754.
Microsoft has released a new Chromium-based version of Microsoft Edge. This new version provides best in class compatibility with extensions and websites. Additionally, this new version provides great support for the latest rendering capabilities, modern web applications, and powerful developer tools across all supported OS platforms.
To learn more about the new Microsoft Edge, see the following resources:
Improvements and fixes
This update includes the following quality improvements:
- Start menu pins, tiles, and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- Taskbar pins and shortcuts for the current version of Microsoft Edge will migrate to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge will be pinned to the taskbar. If the current version of Microsoft Edge is already pinned, it will be replaced.
- The new Microsoft Edge will add a shortcut to the desktop. If the current version of Microsoft Edge already has a shortcut, it will be replaced.
- By default, most protocols that Microsoft Edge handles will be migrated to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The current version of Microsoft Edge will be hidden from UX surfaces in the OS. This includes settings, applications, and any file or protocol support dialog boxes.
- Trying to start the current version of Microsoft Edge will redirect to the new Microsoft Edge.
- The First Run Experience (FRE) will auto-launch the first time that a device restarts after the new Microsoft Edge is installed. This does not occur on devices joined to a Domain, Active Directory, Azure AD nor on Windows 10 Enterprise and Surface Hub Editions.
- Data from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge (such as passwords, favorites, open tabs) will be available in the new Microsoft Edge.
- The new Microsoft Edge does not support the removal of this update.
To view supported features, please see the Microsoft Edge Platform Status.
Known issues in this update
We are currently not aware of any issues with this update.
How to get this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.
You must have the following update or a later update installed to apply this update:
For Windows 10, version 1803
- Recommended: November 12, 2019—KB4525237 (OS Build 17134.1130)
- Optional: October 15, 2019—KB4519978 (OS Build 17134.1099)
You do not have to restart your device after you apply this update.
The new Microsoft Edge does not support the uninstallation of this update.