By default, the .NET Framework 1.1 binds managed applications that do not have associated configuration files to the common language runtime that is included with the .NET Framework 1.1. Therefore, when the Copy2gac application runs, the .NET Framework 1.1 binds the Copy2gac application to the wrong version of the common language runtime, and you receive the error message that appears in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
- Close the error message box.
- In a text editor (such as Notepad), paste the following XML sample code:
- Save the file as Copy2gac.exe.config in the following folder:Windows Folder\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705Note Windows Folder is a placeholder for the location of your Windows folder.
- You can now successfully repair your operating system.
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Perform a fresh installation of either Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on your computer.
- Install the .NET Framework 1.1 on your computer. To download the latest version of the .NET Framework 1.1, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
- Try to repair your operating system.
Specifying which runtime version to use
Targeting a .NET Framework version
Common language runtime
Technical support for Media CenterBecause Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition was included with your hardware device or system, the hardware manufacturer provides technical support and assistance for this software. Your manufacturer may have customized the installation with unique components such as specific device drivers and optional settings to maximize the performance of that manufacturer's hardware. If you require technical help with Windows XP Media Center Edition, contact your manufacturer directly because the manufacturer is best qualified to support the software that the manufacturer has installed on the hardware.
Article ID: 827073 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 2