For example, when you type shutdown /s /m \\ computer_name /t 003
from a remote computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Device is not ready
- Use Remote Desktop Connection to connect remotely to the console session of the Windows Server 2003-based computer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type mstsc /console in the Open box, and then click OK. Type the computer name, and then click Connect.
- After the console session opens, click Start, and then click Log Off to log off the console session.
- From a command prompt, type shutdown /r /m \\ computer_name /t 003
from the remote computer to restart the computer remotely.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites are required.
Restart requirementYou must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
File informationThe English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
07-Jan-2004 00:58 5.2.3790.116 540,160 Winlogon.exe
- Disconnect the console session instead of logging off. For example, click the Close button in the console session, and then when you receive the following message, click OK to confirm the action:
- Use Remote Desktop Connection without the /console switch to connect to the Windows Server 2003-based computer.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: