This problem also occurs on a Windows Vista-based computer or a Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based computer that has security update 896426 (MS05-028) installed.
In this scenario on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you might receive the following error message:
If you have Windows XP SP2, Vista, or 7, go to the "Fix it for me" section to run the Fix it. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, or you are using Windows 8 or 8.1, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Windows XP SP2, Vista, or 7: Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
Note This Fix it does not work with Windows 8 or later.
- When you follow the Fix it wizard, you need enter a FileSizeLimitInBytes value that is larger than the size of the file that you want to download.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myself
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Windows XP SP2, Vista, or 7: Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Windows 8 or later: Swipe in from the right to bring up the charms, and then select Search and type regedit (or type regedit from the Start screen). Select regedit from the search results to run it.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters
- In the right pane, right-click the
FileSizeLimitInBytes value, and then click
If you cannot see the
FileSizeLimitInBytes value, right-click the blank space in the right pane, click New, click DWORD Value, type FileSizeLimitInBytes, and then click
- In the Edit DWORD Value box, click to select the Decimal option. In the box under Value data, type a value that is larger than the size of the file that you want to download. Click OK.
Note The default value for the file size limit is 50000000 bytes.
- Quit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email.
Article ID: 900900 - Last Review: Feb 17, 2015 - Revision: 1