Method 1: Turn on Automatic UpdatesTo turn on Automatic Updates, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click either Automatic or Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Method 2: Use Windows Update CatalogTo use Windows Update Catalog to download critical updates, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- In the Operating system box, click the operating system that you use, and then click Advanced search options.
- Click to select the following check boxes:
- Critical Updates and Service Packs
- Advanced Security Updates
- Click to clear the following check boxes:
- Additional Windows Downloads
- Internet and Multimedia Updates
- Multi-Language Features
- Recommended Updates
- Windows Tools
- Click Search, and then click Critical Updates and Service Packs.
- Click Add next to each item that you want to download.
- Click Advanced Security Updates, and then click Add next to each item that you want to download.
- Click Go to Download Basket.
- In the Type or browse to the download location of your choice box, click Browse, and then click the folder in which you want to save the downloads.
- Click Download Now, and then click Accept.
To verify whether your copy of Windows is legal, follow these steps:
- On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
- On the Help menu, click Is this copy of Windows legal?.
Article ID: 906893 - Last Review: Jun 27, 2012 - Revision: 1