Before Windows Vista SP1 is released, these prerequisite updates will be delivered to most users through Windows Update as part of regularly scheduled monthly updates. These updates will be installed together with other updates that will require that you restart the computer. Therefore, an additional restart will not be required. This delivery method will help simplify installation of the required updates.
If you decide to install Windows Vista SP1 by using the stand-alone installer instead of by using Windows Update, you will not have to install the prerequisite updates separately. The prerequisite updates will be installed by the stand-alone installer if they are necessary. The following three updates are required before you install Windows Vista SP1. However, these updates are also recommended if you do not intend to install Windows Vista SP1. These updates help improve reliability and performance when you install future individual updates from Microsoft:
- 935509 A software update is available for versions of Windows Vista that include the Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption featureUpdate 935509 lets you correctly service Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption-capable computers. This update only applies to the following versions of Windows Vista that include Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption:
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- 938371 A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation componentsUpdate 938371 updates several internal components that Windows Vista requires in order to install or to remove Windows Vista Service Pack 1 more reliably. This update must be applied separately before you install Windows Vista SP1 to make sure that Windows Vista SP1 can be installed or removed from the computer. You must install this update in order to install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 on all versions of Windows Vista. This update will be available on the Windows Update Web site soon after the release of update 935509 and before the release of Windows Vista SP1.
- Update 937287 updates the Windows Vista installation software. For more information, see the "Update information" section.
Update informationUpdate 937287 is a prerequisite package that contains updates to the Windows Vista installation software. The installation software is the component that handles the installation and the removal of software updates, language packs, optional Windows features, and service packs. Update 937287 is necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 on all versions of Windows Vista. This update will be available on the Windows Update Web site soon after the release of update 935509 and before the release of Windows Vista SP1.
Update 937287 is available from the Windows Update Web site. To obtain this update, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click
- Under Windows Update, click Check for updates.
- You must install this update package on a Windows Vista operating system that is running. You cannot install this update package on an offline image.
- If any other updates are waiting for a restart, the restart must occur before you install this update.
- You must install update 949939 before you install this update.
Update is available from the Microsoft Download CenterThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
PrerequisitesYou must install update 949939 before you install this update.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
Update removal informationYou cannot remove this update.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 937287 - Last Review: May 24, 2017 - Revision: 5