Technical update: August 1, 2008Microsoft has released a Microsoft security advisory about this issue for IT professionals. The security advisory contains additional security-related information. To view the security advisory, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
NoteThis problem affects Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 and Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 1 (WSUS 3.0 SP1). However, in some circumstances, the following products may also be affected:
- Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Windows SBS) that has had the WSUS component upgraded from WSUS 2.0 to WSUS 3.0
- System Center Essentials 2007
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007
When this problem occurs, a message that resembles the following message is logged in the Automatic Updates log file (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) on the affected computer:
This message is logged during the detection phase.
Also, a message that resembles the following message is logged in the WSUS log file (%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Log Files\SoftwareDistribution.log) on the WSUS computer:
To locate this message, search the WSUS server for the ID that is obtained from the client log.
To resolve this issue on a server that is running WSUS 3.0 SP1
- Confirm that the current Region and Language setting on the WSUS server is the same setting under which WSUS was installed. For example, if the WSUS server was set to English (United States) when WSUS was installed, and the current setting is German (Switzerland), then change the language to English (United States) before you install this update.
- Install update 954960. Click the applicable Microsoft Download Center link for your server:
Download the Update for Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3 Service Pack 1 (KB954960) package now.
Download the Update for Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems package now.
Release Date: August 1, 2008
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
- If applicable, change the WSUS server language to the desired setting.
To resolve this issue on a server that is running WSUS 3.0 RTMDo one of the following:
- Upgrade from WSUS 3.0 RTM to WSUS 3.0 SP1 and receive update 954960 automatically. For information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Or, if you do not want to upgrade to WSUS 3.0 SP1 at this time, follow the instructions in the "Workaround" section.
- On the WSUS Administration console, in the Updates list, locate the Office 2003 Service Pack 1 update.
- Note More than one Office 2003 Service Pack 1 update may have been published. It is important to verify that you have located the specific version of this update that is required for this procedure. Confirm that the following UpdateID is displayed at the bottom of the details pane: D359F493-0AAD-43FA-AF5C-6763326CD98F
- You may have to change the filters in the Update node to see this update. To do this, set Status to Any, and set Approval to Declined. If you still do not see the update, set Approval to Any Except Declined.
- Note More than one Office 2003 Service Pack 1 update may have been published. It is important to verify that you have located the specific version of this update that is required for this procedure. Confirm that the following UpdateID is displayed at the bottom of the details pane:
- Confirm that the update is Declined. If the update is not declined, right-click the update, and then click Decline.
- Approve the update. To do this, right-click the update, click Approve, and then click OK. Do not make any changes to the approval settings in the Approve Updates dialog box.
- Decline the update. To do this, right-click the update, and then click Decline.
- Computers should now successfully complete detection against the WSUS server and receive any applicable updates. To verify that a computer can synchronize:
- Open a command prompt.
- Type the following command: wuauclt.exe/detectnow
- Press ENTER.
- Review the WindowsUpdate.log file to verify that the synchronization is successful. You may have to run the detectnow command two times. Some customers reported that the first synchronization fails but that successive synchronizations succeed.
- If you have a hierarchy of WSUS servers, repeat this procedure on each server. Start with the top-level server. If any of the servers is a replica child server, change it to be autonomous by using the Options/Update Source and Proxy Server dialog box. Follow the procedure steps, and then change the autonomous server back to a replica child server.
Known issues with this update
- When you install this update on a computer that is running WSUS and when the computer also hosts other Internet services such as HTTP, FTP, NNTP or SMTP, these services may be stopped and then restarted during the installation of the update.
- This update does not support uninstallation. To remove this update, you must uninstall and then reinstall WSUS.
If you want to remove this update, we recommend that you select the default option when you uninstall WSUS. The default option leaves the database and content on the system so that customized settings are preserved when WSUS is reinstalled.
- After you install this update, there is no listing for the update in the Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel. To verify that the update was installed correctly, follow these steps:
- Open the following folder:%ProgramFiles%\Update Services\WebServices\ClientWebService\bin\
- Right-click the Microsoft.UpdateServices.WebServices.Client.Dll file, and then click Properties.
- Click the Version tab.
- If the update was installed correctly, the file version is 3.1.6001.66.
- If the update was installed incorrectly, the file version is 3.1.6001.65.
- Open the following folder: