Display Problems Playing Video Clips in Windows
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
- The system may stop responding (hang).
- The video may flash.
- Distortion is observed in the video playback area.
- The video may just show a blank window, a white window, or a black window, even though the sound plays correctly.
- Some systems may experience hesitation problems with the video, where it continually starts and stops instead of playing smoothly.
- Videos only play in the large or expanded mode. The normal mode videos do not play.
Removing and Reinstalling Video Compression
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Windows Setup tab.
- In the Components area, scroll to and click Multimedia.
- Click Details.
- If the Video Compression option is selected, it may not be installed properly, and needs to be removed. Follow these steps:
- Clear the check box for this option, and then click OK.
- Click OK again to complete the removal.
- Repeat steps 2-5 to return to the Video Compression option in Add/Remove Programs.
- Make sure the Video Compression box contains a check mark.
- Click OK, then click OK again. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Article ID: 160170 - Last Review: 01/19/2007 20:51:19 - Revision: 3.1
- kbdisplay kbgraphic kbmm kbprb KB160170