FIX: The BizTalkDTADb database becomes very large after a BizTalk orchestration runs for a while in BizTalk Server 2009 if an exception is caught
Consider the following scenario:
- You install Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 on a computer.
- You run two BizTalk orchestrations that meet the following conditions.
- One orchestration has a Receive shape, has all tracking options disabled, and calls the other orchestration to process messages.
- The called orchestration has the Orchestration start and end check box selected.
- One of these orchestrations has a catch exception block.
- An exception occurs in the called orchestration.
Note This exception is caught and handled by the catch exception block. Therefore, the message processing operation finishes.
- The BizTalk orchestration tries to processes other messages.
For example, you run two orchestrations that are named A and B and that meet the following requirements:
- On the Tracking tab of the orchestration properties dialog box for A, all Track Events check boxes are cleared.
- The Orchestration start and end check box for B is selected.
- A processes messages by calling B.
- Exceptions occur and are handled by a Catch Exception block.
This issue occurs because an orphaned instance is incorrectly created in the BizTalkDTADb database.
When an orphaned instance is incorrectly created in the BizTalkDTADb database, the service instance has no corresponding record in the BizTalkMsgBoxDb database. Additionally, the dtEndTime field of the dta_ServiceInstances table is never populated in the BizTalkDTADb database. Therefore, the DTA Purge and Archive job does not remove the orphaned instance. After the BizTalk orchestrations runs for a while, and the BizTalkDTADb database becomes very large.
Cumulative update informationFor more information about how to obtain the cumulative update package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2429050 Cumulative update package 1 for BizTalk 2009Note KB978796 resolves a similar issue. However, this issue can still occur even if you have installed the hotfix in KB978796.
For more information about the hotfix in KB978796, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
978796 FIX: An orphaned BizTalk DTA service instance is created unexpectedly after a BizTalk orchestration handles an exception
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about BizTalk Server hotfixes, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2003907 Information about BizTalk Server hotfixes
Article ID: 2263355 - Last Review: 02/10/2011 04:13:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 Branch, Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 Developer, Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 Enterprise, Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 Standard
- kbqfe kbfix kbbiztalk2009presp1fix kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew kbbtsorchestration kbhotfixserver KB2263355