Install Office for Mac 2011 on your computer
This article describes how to install Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 on your computer. Note: If you have previous versions of Office for Mac installed (example, 2008, 2004 and so on), you do not need to uninstall it.
If you do not have DVD drive, see the following Knowledge base article:
2439384 How to install Office for Mac 2011 without a DVD drive
The following requirements must be met before you follow any of the steps in this article.
- You must quit all applications and close all windows.
- You must be logged on as an administrator of the computer. If this is your personal computer, you are likely already logged on with an administrator account. If this is a computer that is part of a network at work, you might have to ask the system administrator for help.
- The product key location differs based on what kind of product you purchased. If you purchased the product through a website, the product key is sent to you in email message that is titled, "Microsoft Office for Mac US Store- Order Confirmation." If you purchased a boxed DVD, the 25-character product key is located inside the disc case or on the back of the disc sleeve on a rectangular orange label that is included with the installation media, as shown in the following graphic:
- Connect to the Internet so that you can activate the product online.
Note Alternatively, you can activate the product by telephone. For activation information, see "References."
Step 1: Quit all applicationsYou must quit all applications before you start Office for Mac installation. To quit an application, select the application on the toolbar (top), and then select Quit. If you cannot quit an application or do not know how, hold down the Command and Option keys, and then press Esc on your keyboard. Select the application in the "Force Quit Application" window, and then select Force Quit. Click Force Quit to quit the application.
Note You cannot quit Finder.
When you are finished, click the red button in the upper-left corner.
Step 2: Install Microsoft Office for Mac 2011To install Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, follow these steps:
|1.||Insert the DVD into the disk drive. If you downloaded the product, the setup icon should be available on your Desktop.|
|2.||Double-click the disk or the setup icon on your Desktop.|
|3.||Double-click the Office installer icon.|
|5.||Read the Software License Agreement, and then click Continue.|
|6.||Click Agree to accept the terms of the software license agreement.|
|7.||Click Install to continue the installation.|
Click Change Install Location if you want to select another drive on which to install the product.
Click Customize to select or to remove optional installation components. For example, click Customize if you do not want to install Office Fonts, Dock Icons, or certain applications such as Microsoft Messenger, Remote Desktop, or Microsoft Document Connection.
|8.||Enter your Mac user name and password, and then click OK.|
|9.||Installation will begin. A progress indicator will appear.|
|10.||The installation is complete when you receive this message. Click Close.|
|11.||You will be prompted to activate the product. If you have the product key, select Enter your product key. |
The product key location depends on what kind of product you purchased. If you purchased a boxed DVD, the 25-character product key is located inside the disc case or on the back of the disc sleeve on a rectangular orange label that was included with the installation media. If you purchased and downloaded the product from a website, the product key is sent to you in email with the title "Microsoft Office for Mac US Store- Order Confirmation."
For more information about activating Office for Mac 2011, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2391941 Office for Mac 2011 activation and product key information
Article ID: 2435801 - Last Review: 08/29/2011 15:16:00 - Revision: 15.1
Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011, Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011
- dftsdahomeportal KB2435801