"0xc0040446" or "0xc004041d" error if the primary IP address or DNS address uses 184.108.40.206/16, 220.127.116.11/16, or 18.104.22.168/24 in Forefront TMG 2010
Consider the following scenario:
- You install Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010 on a computer.
- You configure the primary IP address or the DNS address of a network adapter by using one of the following address ranges:
- You open Forefront TMG 2010 Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and then you open the Networking node.
- Error: 0xc0040446 - The specified IP address is reserved and cannot be used.
Note You receive this error message if you configured the primary IP address.
- Error: 0xc004041d - This network adapter DNS address is not defined using a valid IP address.
Note You receive this error message if you configured the DNS address.
This issue occurs because these address ranges are incorrectly reserved.
The Requests for Comments (RFC) 3330 is implemented and reserves these address ranges. However, the RFC 3330 is obsolete. Therefore, the RFC 5735 that allows for the usage of these address ranges is not implemented.
For more information about RFC 3330, visit the following Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) website:
For more information about RFC 5735, visit the following IETF website:
Note The following RFC 5735 terms describe these address ranges:
- 22.214.171.124/16 is not reserved and is subject to future allocation by a regional Internet registry (RIR) for assignment in the regular manner.
- 126.96.36.199/16 is not reserved and is subject to future allocation by a RIR for assignment in the regular manner.
- 188.8.131.52/24 is not reserved and is subject to future allocation by an RIR for assignment in the regular manner.
Update informationTo resolve this issue, install the software update that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article:
2498770 Software Update 1 rollup 3 for Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010 Service Pack 1
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Cannot configure TMG network due to error E_FPC_RESERVED_IP_NOT_ALLOWED
Article ID: 2500737 - Last Review: 02/25/2011 09:18:00 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 Enterprise, Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 Standard
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter KB2500737