Pointer movement and scrolling are slow when a worksheet contains many shapes in Office Excel 2007
When a worksheet in Microsoft Office Excel 2007 contains many shapes, pointer movement and scrolling are very slow. This issue occurs even when no shapes are visible on the current screen.
This issue occurs because Excel 2007 redraws all shapes in the worksheet when you move the pointer. This issue occurs even when there are no shapes visible on the current screen. Therefore, automatic recalculation of off-screen shapes slows the pointer and scrolling response time. Additionally, the more shapes there are in the worksheet, the more slowly the pointer moves.
To resolve this issue, apply the following hotfix:
983315 Description of the 2007 Office system hotfix package (Oart-x-none.msp, Oartconv-x-none.msp): June 29, 2010
Registry key informationImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To have us enable the hotfix for you after you install the hotfix package, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for me
To enable the hotfix automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfAfter you install the hotfix package, follow these steps to enable the hotfix:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Type EnableFastBoundsCalc, and then press ENTER.
- In the Details pane, right-click EnableFastBoundsCalc, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2596951 - Last Review: 01/04/2012 06:56:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter kbexpertisebeginner kbfixme kbmsifixme KB2596951