How to remove the LastActive attribute from the aggregation state category in Lync Server 2010, Lync Server 2013, Skype for Business Server 2015, and Skype for Business Online
Note The Lync Server presence schema includes a method for calculating and displaying how long a user is away or offline. This is known as "Last Active." The LastActive attribute returns presence inquiries only from users who have the "Colleagues," "Workgroup," and "Friends and Family" privacy relationships. For more information about presence information in Lync Server, see the "References" section.
- Last Active presence information may be incorrectly interpreted as reflecting the actual user's status at work. Therefore, users may rely on it to remotely monitor an employee's activity. However, this behavior is not enabled in some countries.
- Last Active presence information that's provided to users should not disclose how long a user is away or offline for business reasons.
For Lync Server 2010, Lync Server 2013, or Skype for Business Server 2015For Lync Server 2010, to remove the LastActive attribute from the aggregation state category, you must install the following update:
To remove the LastActive attribute, add a configuration entry in the configuration file on each instance of the server for which you want to remove the LastActive attribute. To do this, follow these steps:
- Create a text file, name it Rtcaggregate.exe.config, and include the following configuration entry:
<configuration> <appSettings> <add key="PublishLastActive" value="false" /> </appSettings></configuration>
- Save the file to the following folder:
- Lync Server 2010: %Installation Folder%\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Server\Core\
- Lync Server 2013: %Installation Folder%\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Server\Core\
- Skype for Business Server 2015: %Installation Folder%\Skype for Business Server 2015\Server\Core\
- Copy this file to the path that's specified in step 2 on every front-end computer in the pool in which you want to remove the LastActive attribute.
- Restart the Front-End Server service (RtcSrv or RtcHost) to apply these changes.
For Skype for Business OnlineSkype for Business Online provides tenant administrators to remove the LastActive attribute through tenant Remote PowerShell. To do this, follow these steps:
- Configure your computer for Skype for Business Online management. To do this, see Using Windows PowerShell to manage Skype for Business Online.
- Start a Skype for Business Online Windows PowerShell session.
- Check the current LastActive attribute policy that's assigned to your tenant. To do this, run the Get-CsUserServicesPolicy cmdlet. The result resembles the following:
PS C:\Users\TenantAdmin> Get-CsUserServicesPolicyIdentity : GlobalUcsAllowed : FalseMigrationDelayInDays : 0EnableAwaySinceIndication : True
- Disable the LastActive attribute. To do this, run the following cmdlet:
Set-CsUserServicesPolicy -EnableAwaySinceIndication:$falseNote you may see a warning about unified contact store. You can safely ignore this warning.
- Recheck the LastActive attribute policy. The result resembles the following:
PS C:\Users\bdeakyne> Get-CsUserServicesPolicyIdentity : GlobalUcsAllowed : FalseMigrationDelayInDays : 0EnableAwaySinceIndication : False
- The LastActive attribute will be disabled after some hours.
- Users must restart (change presence manually or sign out and then sign back in again) before the LastActive attribute is removed from their presence.
- After the publisher has republished, subscribers must sign out and then sign back in again before the LastActive attribute no longer appears.
- There is also a known issue in Skype for Business Online (see the "Known issues" section) in which outdated or inaccurate LastActive information is occasionally displayed.
For more information, see The LastActive attribute provides inaccurate information about a user’s status in Skype for Business Online.
Article ID: 2684128 - Last Review: 06/12/2015 18:39:00 - Revision: 7.0
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter KB2684128