"The file could not be opened because it has been encrypted with software that is not installed on this computer" error message when you open an encrypted Excel 2007 file from a SharePoint site
When you try to open a Microsoft Office Excel 2007 workbook that has custom encryption from a SharePoint document library, the file does not open. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
The file could not be opened because it has been encrypted with software that is not installed on this computer.Note This issue does not occur if Excel 2007 is already running when you open the workbook from the SharePoint site.
To resolve this issue, apply the following hotfix package:
2687486 Description of the 2007 Office system hotfix package (Msohev-x-none.msp): August 28, 2012
Registry key informationImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in WindowsAfter you install the hotfix package,to have us enable the hotfix for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to enable the hotfix yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for me
To enable the hotfix automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- Install hotfix that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article 2687486 before you run this Fix it solution.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfAfter you install the hotfix package, follow these steps to enable the hotfix:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then select the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) value.
- Type UseShellExecuteToOpenFromSP, and then press Enter.
- In the Details pane, right-click UseShellExecuteToOpenFromSP, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog or send us an email.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
fixit fix it fixme
Article ID: 2687374 - Last Review: 11/08/2012 02:10:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- kbqfe kbsurveynew kbexpertisebeginner kbfixme kbmsifixme KB2687374