"Cannot connect the computer to the server" error message after you install the client connect on a client computer
After you start the client connector on client computer, you may receive the following error message:
Note This problem may continue to occur even after you restart the computer multiple times.
Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again.
Note This issue occurs on the client computer when connecting to the server in the Applied To section. The resolution steps should be performed on the client computer.
This problem may occur because an earlier software installation on the client computer has left the computer in a restart pending state, and restarting the computer does not clear the state.
Important To fix this problem, first restart the computer.
If the restart does not fix the problem, and you want us to fix this problem for you, go to the "Here's an easy fix" section. If you prefer to fix this problem manually, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Here's an easy fixTo fix this problem automatically, click the Download button. In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the easy fix solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Enable this fix
Let me fix it myselfEasy fix 50865
To fix this problem yourself on the client computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
- After you select the subkey that is specified in step 2, right-click PendingFileRenameOperations, and then click Delete.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update
- After you select the key that is specified in step 4, right-click RebootRequired, and then click Delete.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 2723674 - Last Review: 09/28/2015 02:26:00 - Revision: 3.0
Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials
- kbfixme kbmsifixme kbexpertiseinter kbprb kbsurveynew KB2723674