Word document opens as read-only when you try to programmatically open the document
This article was previously published under Q275976
When you try to programmatically open a Microsoft Word document, the document opens as a read-only document and you cannot edit the document.
When you add the code
the document still opens as a read-only document.
When you open the same document using the Open
command, the following message appears:
PathName should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be saved. Open as read-only?
You can open the document for editing by clicking Yes
on the message.
This problem occurs because Visual Basic opens any document with the ReadOnlyRecommended attribute set to true as a read-only document, even if you attempt to set the ReadOnly attribute to false.Note
The following example applies to Word 2003 and 2002:
- Start Word, and then create a new document.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- In the Options dialog box, on the Security tab, click to select the Read-only recommended check box.
- Save the document as C:\Test.doc.
- Close the document.
- Press ALT+F11 to start the Visual Basic editor.
- On the Insert menu, click Module.
- In the Module sheet, type the following code:
Sub Test() Documents.Open FileName:="C:\Test.doc", ReadOnly:=FalseEnd Sub
- Press ALT+F11 to return to Word.
- On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Macros.
- In the Macro name list, click Test, and then click Run.
The document opens as a read-only document.
To work around this problem, use the following Word Basic macro instead of the Visual Basic macro shown in step 8 of the "Cause" section of this article:
Sub Test() WordBasic.FileOpen Name:="C:\Test.doc"End Sub
With this macro the file can be edited after it opens.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
WD2002 WD2003 WD2007
Article ID: 275976 - Last Review: 01/29/2007 13:36:17 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Office Word 2007, Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition