Hosts file is detected as malware in Windows Defender
- You install Windows 8.
- You change the Hosts file by specifying custom IP-address-to-host-name mappings to prevent users from browsing to some websites.
- You run a scan in Microsoft Windows Defender.
- Open Windows Defender.
- On the Settings tab, click Excluded files and locations.
- Under File locations, click Browse.
- Locate and then click the Hosts file.
Note By default, the Hosts file is located in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc folder.
- Click Add, and then click Save changes.
- Exit Windows Defender.
For information about how to reset the Hosts file to the default settings, click the following article number to go to the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 2764944 - Last Review: 10/05/2012 20:39:00 - Revision: 1.0
- kbsurveynew kbprb kbtshoot KB2764944