In Windows 8 I have set up local user accounts for my children. How do I set up Family Safety for these accounts?
Set up Family Safety for local Windows 8 user accounts
In Windows 8 it is easy to protect the local user accounts of your children from content on the local PC or from web content which might be harmful to children, to control access times to the PC, and determine which programs your children are allowed to use.Note
: This article describes using Windows 8 with a mouse and a keyboard. Please make sure that Family Safety is turned on. You can turn on Family Safety when you are setting up the accounts for your children.
1. Display the Charms bar by pointing with the mouse to the upper right or lower left corner of the start screen.
2. Click Search
3. Click Settings
4. Enter Family Safety
5. In the left pane, click Set up Family Safety for any user
6. In the next window, click the account for which you want to control access rights and restrictions.
7. Leave the settings above unchanged and click Web filtering
, if you want to determine which web contents this person can display.
8. Make sure that the option [...] can only use the websites I allow
is enabled in the upper pane. Click Set web filtering level
9. In the next window, accept the default setting Online communication
or choose the option Designed for children
10. In the left pane, click Allow or Block Websites
to create a list of allowed or blocked web pages, or click User Settings
to edit more settings.
11. Click Time limits
to choose the days and times your children can access the PC.
12. Based on the options on the Time allowance
tab, you can determine how many hours and minutes your children can use the PC on weekdays and weekends.
13. Based on the options on the Curfew
tab, you can determine the times for each day when this person is not
allowed to use the PC at all.
14. Then click User Settings
to edit additional options.
15. Click Windows Store and game restrictions
to limit the use of games.
16. Click Set game and Windows Store ratings
to determine that this person can only use the games suitable for his/her age which are installed on the PC.
17. In the next window, you chose a game rating level based on the age of your child.
18. If you want to block or allow specific locally installed games click Allow or block games
on the left bar. Otherwise click User Settings
19. Click App restrictions
, if you want to allow or block access to specific apps locally installed on this PC for this person.
20. Now you can determine which apps this person can use by selecting the appropriate checkbox.
21. Then close the window. The changes are immediately in effect.
22. The next time, this user signs in, a notification is displayed telling her/him that this account is monitored by Family Safety.