Error message when you use Scanpst.exe on a .pst file in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) environment that has Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP2 or a later version update rollup installed.
- You export a mailbox to a personal folder file (.pst) by running the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet in the environment.
- You try to run the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) on the recently exported .pst file.
Note By default, the Inbox Repair tool for Microsoft Outlook 2010 is located in the following file path:
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
In this scenario, the operation fails and you receive the following error message:
An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes have been made to the scanned file.
This issue occurs because some data in the recently exported .pst file does not match the data structure of the Scanpst.exe tool. Therefore, Scanpst.exe does not open the file.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
Description of Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
To work around this issue, export the mailbox to a .pst file by using Outlook.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the New-MailboxExportRequest
cmdlet, go to the following Microsoft website:
For more information about how to use the Inbox Repair tool to repair .pst files in Outlook, go to the following Microsoft website:
For more information about how to export Outlook items to a .pst file, go to the following Microsoft website:
For more information about a similar issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Error message when you open an RTF email message that has inline attachments in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
Article ID: 2783782 - Last Review: 02/12/2013 16:41:00 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
- kbqfe kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew KB2783782