Cannot click to activate hyperlink
This article was previously published under Q279090
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you click a hyperlink in a Microsoft Word document to activate it or to follow it to the intended location, nothing happens.
This problem may occur as in the following examples:
- When you click a hyperlink similar to the following in a Word document, the hyperlink is not activated, and you are not directed to the specified location:http://www.microsoft.com
- When you click a page number in a table of contents, nothing happens, and you are not directed to the selected page.
- When you click a cross-reference in a Word document, nothing happens, and you are not directed to the intended location of the cross-reference.
This is a design change in Word and is consistent with some other Microsoft Office programs, such as Microsoft FrontPage.
To activate a hyperlink in a Word document, hold CTRL and click the hyperlink.
Note When you rest your mouse over a hyperlink, the ScreenTip displays the following message:
CTRL + click to follow linkTo turn off this default functionality in Microsoft Word, turn off the Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink option. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the Edit tab, click to clear the Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink check box.
- Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
prb WD2002 WD2003
Article ID: 279090 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 22:41:50 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbprb KB279090