Cannot click to activate hyperlink
This article was previously published under Q279090
When you click a hyperlink in a Microsoft Word document to activate it or to follow it to the intended location, nothing happens.
This problem may occur as in the following examples:
- When you click a hyperlink similar to the following in a Word document, the hyperlink is not activated, and you are not directed to the specified location:
- When you click a page number in a table of contents, nothing happens, and you are not directed to the selected page.
- When you click a cross-reference in a Word document, nothing happens, and you are not directed to the intended location of the cross-reference.
This is a design change in Word and is consistent with some other Microsoft Office programs, such as Microsoft FrontPage.
To activate a hyperlink in a Word document, hold CTRL and click the hyperlink.Note
When you rest your mouse over a hyperlink, the ScreenTip displays the following message:
CTRL + click to follow link
To turn off this default functionality in Microsoft Word, turn off the Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink
option. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the Edit tab, click to clear the Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink check box.
- Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
prb WD2002 WD2003
Article ID: 279090 - Last Review: 01/29/2007 13:34:49 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition