Word stops responding when you save changes to a mail merge document
This article was previously published under Q292129
When you try to save changes in a mail merge document, Microsoft Word may stop responding (hang). Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
This behavior can occur if the following conditions are true:
- In Microsoft Office Word 2003 and in earlier versions of Word, no recently used documents are listed in the New Document task pane .
In Microsoft Office Word 2007, no recently used documents are listed in the Recent Documents task pane.
- You create a Mail Merge document.
- You save that document to a Web folder location.
- You change the document and then try to save it.
This behavior can also occur when you make changes to the document, exit Word, and then click Yes
when you are prompted to save your changes.
To work around this issue, do not click Save
to save the changes to the document. Instead, to save the changes, follow these steps.Note
If you try to exit Word or to close the document, and if you are prompted to save your changes, click Cancel
to return to Word.
- In Word 2003 and in earlier versions of Word, click Save As on the File menu.
In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Save As.
- In the Save in list, click the Web folder that you want.
- In the File name box, type a new file name for the mail merge document. For example, type MailMerge 1.doc, and then click Save.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
crash hang hangs searches http net WD2003 WD2007
Article ID: 292129 - Last Review: 12/12/2006 22:19:31 - Revision: 1.3
Microsoft Office Word 2007, Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbexpertisebeginner kbbug kberrmsg kbinvalidpagefault kbpending KB292129