How to use mail merge to create e-mail messages in Word
This article was previously published under Q294694
This article describes how to use the mail merge feature in Microsoft Word 2002 and in later versions of Word to create form letters. You can use this feature if you are sending the same message to multiple recipients by using e-mail.
For more information about mail merge, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
290408 Frequently asked questions about mail merge in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
Note When you merge a Web page to e-mail in Microsoft Word 2002 by using the HTML mail format, hyperlinks in the e-mail message do not work. For more information about how to resolve this problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
287004 Hyperlinks in merged HTML e-mail message do not work
Follow these steps to perform a mail merge to e-mail.
Getting startedStart a mail merge. To do this, use one of the following procedures, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running.
Microsoft Word 2002On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.
Microsoft Office Word 2003On the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge.
Microsoft Office Word 2007 and Microsoft Word 2010On the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, and then click Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.
The Mail Merge task pane appears.
Step 1 of 6: Select document type
- Under Select Document Type, click E-mail Messages.
- Click Next: Starting Document.
Step 2 of 6: Select starting document
- Under Select starting document are three choices: Use the current document, Start from a template, and Start from existing document. When you click each option, additional information about the option appears in the task pane.
- Click Next: Select Recipients to continue.
Step 3 of 6: Select recipients
- If you select Use an existing list, click Browse to locate and choose your file. Click Edit recipient list to modify the address list after it is created.
- If you select Select from Outlook contacts, click Choose Contacts Folder. If Outlook is not open, you will be prompted for your Outlook profile.
- If you select Type a new list, you can create a new address list.
- Click Next: Write your e-mail message to continue.
Step 4 of 6: Write your e-mail messageAt this point, you insert your merge fields. You can use a combination of items:
- Address Block: Use this item to insert fields that will insert a block of text, such as the name and address.
- Greeting Line: Use this item to choose the format that you want on your greeting line.
- Electronic Postage: Use this item if you have electronic postage software on your computer that is compatible with Word.
- More Items: Use this item to enter any other fields that are in your recipient list.
Step 5 of 6: Preview your e-mail messageYou can preview just one message of your mail merge, or you can preview all of them. You also can click Edit recipient list to remove names or add to your recipient list.
After you preview your message, click Next: Complete the merge to continue.
Step 6 of 6: Complete the merge
- Click Electronic Mail.
- When the Merge to E-mail dialog box appears, select the field that you want to use for the To line, type the subject in the Subject line, and then select the mail format that you want to use.
- Click OK to send your messages.
For more information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
294684 How to use the mail merge to create mailing labels in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294697 How to perform a mail merge with an Outlook Contacts list in Microsoft Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294686 How to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294683 How to use mail merge to create form letters in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294695 How to use mail merge to create faxes in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294688 How to design and set up a mail merge address list in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294685 How to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
294693 How to use mail merge to create a directory in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
OfficeKBHowTo inf mailmerge WD2003 WD2007
Article ID: 294694 - Last Review: 09/18/2011 10:11:00 - Revision: 7.0
Microsoft Office Word 2007, Microsoft Word 2002
- kbhowto kbmerge KB294694