September 2014 update rollup for Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012
Important When you install this update (2984005) from Windows Update, update 2977174 is included in the installation.
The September 2014 Windows RT 8, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 update rollup package resolves issues, and includes performance and reliability improvements. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines. Check out the fixed issues in this update.
Issues that this update fixesThis update package fixes the issues that are documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- 2989038 Connection is lost when you access an RD Session Host server by using RDP in Windows Server 2012
- 2987854 Set-PSDebug cmdlet runs incorrectly or Windows PowerShell scripts fail in Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012
- 2980749 Event log data for troubleshooting SMB in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
- 2865346 MSDTC service stops unexpectedly in Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- 2980345 Desktop isn't shown correctly when network icon in notification area is changed repeatedly in 64-bit version of Windows
- 2989629 Windows APN database entries update for T-Mobile and Fogg Mobile devices in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
- 2977174 You cannot prevent applications or services from being shut down or restarted by using the msiexec command in Windows
How to obtain this update
Method 1: Windows UpdateThis update is provided as an Important update from Windows Update. To obtain this update from Windows Update, follow these steps:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- Tap or click Settings.
- In the search box, type Windows Update.
- Tap or click Install optional updates.
Method 2: Microsoft Download CenterYou can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center.
Download the x86-based Windows 8 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows 8 update package now.
Download the x64-based Windows Server 2012 update package now.
Note The update for Windows RT can be obtained only from Windows Update.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running Windows RT, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2012.
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any previously released update.
File informationThe following table lists the thumbprints of the certificates that are used to sign the updates (.msu). Verify the certificate thumbprint in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article against the certificate thumbprint indicated on the update that you download.
|File name||SHA1 and SHA2|
For more information about Windows Update, go to the following Microsoft websites:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2984005 - Last Review: 12/25/2014 09:03:00 - Revision: 6.0
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 Standard, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Foundation, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8, Windows RT
- kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseadvanced atdownload KB2984005