Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager
Note We recommend that existing Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure customers upgrade to the latest agent (version 2.0.9040).
Features implemented in this update rollupBy using Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager, customers can back up VMware virtual machines (VMs). The following are the high-level features of VMware VM backup:
- Agentless backup
- Detection and backup of VMs through vCenter / ESXi v5.5 or v6.0 servers
- DPM detection and protection at the folder level if customers organize VMs in VM folders in vCenter
- Protection of VMs that are stored on cluster storage, NFS, or direct attached storage
- Recovery of an entire virtual machine or individual files and folders by using item-level recovery for Windows VMs
Issues that are fixed in this update rollup
- The Data Protection Manager Service crashes when you try to remove a data source from protection when the server name has more than 64 characters.
- SharePoint-optimized item level recovery (ILR) does not work if Data Protection Manager encounters a data-item it can't access during cataloging.
- Changing pre-DPM 2012 R2 UR9 Protection Groups that use online protection triggers a DPM console crash in UR9.
- If many alerts are raised by Data Protection Manager in a short time span, Data Protection Manager Alerts aren't correctly synced to System Center Operations Manager–based Central Console. This leads to Central Console displaying resolved alerts as active alerts.
- If you are trying to perform Alternate Data Protection Manager Recovery for Inactive cloud protected data sources, the cloud recovery points cannot be accessed.
- If an update is available for the MAB Agent, Data Protection Manager shows it only at the start of a cloud-backup. There is no other way to show that the agent is not up to date. Similarly, after it is updated, the update alert disappears only after you run a cloud backup job.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 11 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager
Download informationUpdate packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
Microsoft UpdateTo obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Manual downloadGo to the following website to manually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Data Protection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that is running System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Note This Update Rollup agent update requires you to restart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups.
Method 1: Update the protection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2: Update the protection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server:Data_Protection_Manager_installation_location\DPM\DPM\Agents\RA\4.2.1553.0
The installation packages are as follows:
- For x86-based updates: i386\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB3162908.msp
- For x64-based updates: amd64\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB3162908_AMD64.msp
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on each protected server, based on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server.
- Click the Management tab and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected server, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 4.2.1553.0.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 3162908 - Last Review: 09/09/2016 23:58:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbqfe kbfix kbexpertiseinter atdownload KB3162908