Text appears small or unreadable in the Document Map view in Word
- To view the Document Map, click Document Map on the View menu.
- In Microsoft Office Word 2007, you encounter this problem when you click to select the Document Map check box on the View tab.
- When you drag the Document Map window to make it larger, the text size of the Document Map may also increase.
Method 1: Delete the Word Data keyWarning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To delete the Word Data key, follow these steps.
Note Always export the registry key as a backup before you delete the registry key. This is important because you may have to restore the functionality that is provided by the key.
- Exit all Microsoft Office programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate one of the following registry keys, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
Microsoft Word 2002Microsoft Office Word 2003HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\DataWord 2007HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\DataHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
- Click the Data key.
- Do one of the following, as appropriate for the version of Microsoft Windows that you are running:
- In Microsoft Windows 98, in Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or in Microsoft Windows 2000, click Export Registry File on the Registry menu, type a file name for the backup copy of the key, and then click Save.
- In Microsoft Windows XP, click Export on the File menu, type a file name for the backup copy of the key, and then click Save.
- Make sure that the key that you just exported is selected, and then click Delete on the Edit menu.
- Click Yes when you receive the following message:Are you sure you want to delete this key?Note In Windows XP, click Yes when you receive the following message:Are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?
- On the Registry menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Note To exit Registry Editor in Windows XP, click Exit on the File menu.
Method 2: Switch to Outline view and backIn Word 2002 and in Word 2003
To switch to Outline view, click Outline on the View menu. On the View menu, click the view that you were previously in. For example, click Print Layout.
In Word 2007
Click the View tab, click Outline, and then click to clear the Document Map check box.
Article ID: 827489 - Last Review: 11/09/2006 18:53:52 - Revision: 1.2
- kbtshoot kbprb KB827489