This hotfix rollup fixes several issues in the WPF Designer. This hotfix rollup applies only to the computer that has Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 installed.
- When a resource in an external resource dictionary is updated, Visual Studio 2008 crashes.
- WPF Designer cannot load read-only attached properties, such as the VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups property.
- If users or codes set a data binding locally, and then the users or codes clear the data binding, WPF designer reports the following error message:
'System.Windows.Data.Binding' is not a valid value for property
- If a Win32 project is set as the startup project, WPF Designer cannot load solutions in Visual Studio 2008 or in Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.
- When you set and then delete the Source property of a WPF WebBrowser control, Visual Studio crashes.
- When you move a control that uses the MultiTrigger class or the DataTrigger class in the Style class, WPF Designer may generate an InvalidCastException exception.
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, it is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Visual Studio 2008 service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Note
In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
If you already have the latest version of Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installed, do not apply this hotfix rollup. All the fixes in this hotfix rollup are already included in Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1.
You must have Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 installed to apply this hotfix. To download Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time
item in Control Panel.
|File name ||File version ||File size ||Date ||Time ||Platform |
|Microsoft.visualstudio.xaml.dll ||9.0.30729.166 ||1,355,776 ||20-Oct-2008 ||22:21||x86|
|Microsoft.windows.design.developer.dll ||9.0.30729.166 ||991,232 ||20-Oct-2008 ||22:21 ||x86|
|Microsoft.windows.design.markup.dll ||9.0.30729.166 ||782,336 ||20-Oct-2008 ||22:21 ||x86 |
After you install the hotfix rollup, you may experience the following issues:
- Additional entries appear in XAML IntelliSense. However, these entries do not fit your context.
- You cannot use Choose Items to add WPF items to your toolbox unless you deleted the WpfComponents.cache file in your application data folder.
To resolve these issues, apply hotfix 963035.For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
FIX: When you use WPF designer or you rebuild a WPF application in the Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 (S) IDE, the IDE stops responding and you receive a message in the notification area: "Microsoft Visual Studio is Busy"
WPF Designer SP1 Visual Studio 2008 Resource Dictionary WebBrowser control MultiTrigger DataTrigger