Creating a Password Reset Disk in Microsoft Windows Vista
Resetting Your Password Using the Password Reset Disk
|Article Summary: This article is intended to walk users creating a password reset disk in Windows Vista.|
A password reset disk allows you to access your account on a local computer by resetting the password in the event that the password is forgotten. When you create the password reset disk, it allows you to reset your password no matter how many times you have changed the password.
If you are already locked out of your system, you are not able to use this process. For more information on resetting your password, visit the following Microsoft web site: How to use System Restore to log on to Windows Vista when you lose access to an account.
To create a password reset disk, you need either:
Requirements for Creating a Password Reset Disk
- a USB flash drive
- a floppy drive and a floppy disk
You cannot create a reset disk using CD or DVD media.
Create the Password Reset Disk
- Click and then click Control Panel.
- Click User Accounts and Family Safety.
If your Control Panel is using the Classic View, skip to the next step.
- Click User Accounts.
- Insert either a USB flash drive or a floppy disk.
- Click Create a password reset disk in the left pane.
- When the Forgotten Password Wizard appears, click Next.
- Select the drive in which you want to store your password, and then click Next.
- In the Current User Account Password field, type your current password, and then click Next.
- When the Progress bar reaches 100%, click Next, and then click Finish.
- When the password reset disk has been created, remove the disk and store it in a safe location.
Anyone can use this disk to access your account on this computer, so it is important that you store the disk in a secure but accessible location.
Article ID: 959061 - Last Review: 11/13/2008 18:27:25 - Revision: 1.0
Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise
- kboemdell kbtshoot KB959061