When you back up files by using Windows Backup on a computer that is running Windows 7, the backup fails and you receive the following error message:
An internal error has occurred: The parameter is incorrect: (0x80070057)
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Change the decimal symbol setting
This problem can occur if the decimal symbol is not set to '.' (dot). This is common in languages and locales other than English (United States), such as German (Germany).
To change the decimal symbol setting, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, and then click Region and Language.
- Click the Formats tab, and then click Additional settings.
- In the Decimal symbol field, type . (dot), and then click OK two times.
- Restart the computer.
Some third-party software may cause changes to the runtime locale of the computer and override the setting in Control Panel.
Method 2: Add a registry key valueWarning
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To have us perform Method 2 for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
- Click Start
, type Regedit.exe in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email
Article ID: 982736 - Last Review: August 16, 2011 - Revision: 2.1
- Windows 7 Enterprise
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Starter
- Windows 7 Ultimate
|kbtshoot kbexpertisebeginner kbsurveynew kbprb kbfixme kbmsifixme KB982736|