- You have a computer that has Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Server 2012 preinstalled.
- You start the computer for the first time. Therefore, the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) wizard starts.
- The OOBE wizard finishes, and then you log on to the computer.
Note This issue also occurs if a power failure occurs before the OOBE wizard finishes.
How to obtain this update
Windows UpdateThis update is available from Windows Update.
Microsoft Download CenterThe following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows 8||Download the update package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows 8||Download the update package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2012||Download the update package now.|
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must be running Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Server 2012.
Registry informationTo apply this update, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this update. This update resolves the issue one hour after you restart the computer.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
File informationThe global version of this update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and the times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and the times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and the times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.
Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012 file information notes
- The files that apply to a specific product, milestone (RTM,SPn), and service branch (LDR, GDR) can be identified by examining the file version numbers as shown in the following table:
Version Product Milestone Service branch 6.2.920 0.16 xxx Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012 RTM GDR 6.2.920 0.20 xxx Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012 RTM LDR
- GDR service branches contain only those fixes that are widely released to address widespread, critical issues. LDR service branches contain hotfixes in addition to widely released fixes.
- The MANIFEST files (.manifest) that are installed for each environment are listed separately in the "Additional file information for Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012" section. MANIFEST files and the associated security catalog (.cat) files, are extremely important to maintain the state of the updated components. The security catalog files, for which the attributes are not listed, are signed with a Microsoft digital signature.