When using the Microsoft Outlook 97 Address Book as a data source for a
Microsoft Word 97 mail merge, the Outlook field, Categories, is not
available for insertion into the document or available for use as a query
The converter that is used to convert the Outlook address book into a
format that Word can read for mail merge brings across only 40 of the over
80 pre-defined Outlook fields.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a limitation in this version of Outlook.
We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Two possible workarounds are:
- Export the Contacts folder from Outlook as either a comma or a tab
delimited text file. You can then use this file as the data source.
Note however, that the query option in Word does not allow for a contact
having multiple categories assigned.
- Define a new Contacts folder in Outlook and copy the desired category
into it. You can then use this folder as the mail merge data source.
Exporting the Contacts Folder as a Text File
To export the contacts folder as a text file, follow these steps:
- On the Outlook File menu, click Import And Export.
- In the Import And Export Wizard, select "Export to a file," and click
- In the "Export to a File" dialog box, select the Contacts folder, and
- Select either "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" or "Tab Separated
Values (Windows)," and click Next.
- In the "Save exported file as" box, type a name and path for the file,
and click Next.
- Click the Map Custom Fields button.
- Select all the desired fields, including Categories, for exporting, and
- Click Finish to export the data.
You can use the resulting file as a Word Mail Merge data source.
Copying the Desired Category to a New Contacts Folder
To copy the desired category to a new contacts folder, follow these steps:
- On the Outlook File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
- In the Create New Folder dialog box, in the Name box, type a name for
the new folder.
- Under the Folder Contains box, choose Contact Items.
- Select a location for your new folder under the "Make this folder a
subfolder of" list, and click OK.
- Select you current Contacts folder.
- On the View menu, point to Current View, and then click By Category.
- Expand the desired category to expose all the items.
- Select all the items in the chosen category and drag them to the new
You can now use this new folder as a Word Mail Merge data source.
Article ID: 160521 - Last Review: October 4, 2013 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinterop kbprb KB160521|