Microsoft Outlook maintains a nickname list that is used by both the automatic name checking feature and the automatic completion feature. The nickname list is generated automatically as you use Outlook. If the nickname cache is corrupted, Outlook may be unable to identify recipients, may offer incorrect recipients when automatically completing the email address, or may send the message to the wrong person.
Unlike earlier versions of Outlook that store the nickname cache in a file on your computer, Outlook 2010 stores the nickname cache in your primary message store. For example, if you are using a Microsoft Exchange Server account, your nickname cache is stored in a hidden message in your mailbox.
How to remove nickname cache entries, one at a time
Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2003
How to clear the whole nickname cache
To have us clear the whole nickname cache for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard. Notes
- This wizard may be in English only, but the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email
Article ID: 287623 - Last Review: July 25, 2012 - Revision: 9.0
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
|kbhowto kbfixme kbmsifixme KB287623|