If you use a Microsoft Outlook Contacts list that is stored
in public folders as the data source for a mail merge, you may receive the
following error message and the mail merge does not work:
The operation could not be completed because of dialog or
database engine failure. Please try again later.
This behavior may occur if both of the following conditions
- You use contacts that are stored in a public Contacts
folder as the data source for the mail merge.
- You initiate the mail merge in another program such as
Microsoft Word 2002 or Microsoft Publisher 2002.
To work around this behavior, initiate the mail merge in
Outlook 2002. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Outlook 2002.
- In the Folder List, click the folder that contains the contacts that you want to use
as the source for the mail merge.
- On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge.
- In the Mail Merge Contacts dialog box, specify the options that you want to configure the
mail merge. To do so:
- Under Contacts, click the option that you want.
- Under Fields to merge, click the
option that you want.
- Under Document file, do one of the
- If you want to create a new document, click New document.
- If you want to add merge fields to an existing
document, click Existing document, click Browse, locate the document that you want, and then click OK.
- If you want to store the contact data in a merge file
for future use, click to select the Permanent file check box
under Contact data file, click Browse, specify a name and location where you want to save the file, and
then click OK.
- Under Merge options, do the following:
- In the Document type list, click
the type of mail merge that you want.
- In the Merge to list, click the
option that you want to export the merged records.
- Click OK.
- Word starts.
- In the Word document, point to Letters and Mailings on the Tools menu, and then click Mail Merge Wizard. Follow the instructions in the Mail Merge wizard to complete the
For more information about how to use Microsoft Outlook contacts for a Word mail
merge, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to use Outlook
contacts in a Word mail merge
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about about how to use Microsoft Outlook contacts for
a mail merge, click Microsoft Outlook Help
on the Help
menu, type mail merge
in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search
to view the topics returned.
For more information about how to start a mail merge in Outlook, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to use the Mail Merge feature with contacts in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
Frequently asked questions about mail merge in Word 2002
WD2002: How to Use Mail Merge to Create Mailing Labels
How to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word 2002
How to use mail merge to create form letters in Word 2002
Article ID: 320838 - Last Review: February 1, 2007 - Revision: 4.4
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition, when used with:
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Word 2002
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Publisher 2002 Standard Edition
|kbbug kberrmsg kbnofix KB320838|