This update includes the Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent update. The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent update is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 973583.
The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent update includes support for the following platforms:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions)
- Zones (whole and sparse zones) for all supported versions of Solaris
The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent update includes hotfixes for the following issues:
- The Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent intermittently creates defunct processes on the UNIX system or on the Linux system. This behavior occurs when the following conditions are true:
When this problem occurs, the defunct processes (Scxcimservera) continue to exist until the Cross Platform Agent restarts. These defunct processes consume system resources.
- The password for the account that connects to the server is changed on the UNIX system or on the Linux system. For example, the password for the UNIX Action account or for the UNIX Privileged RunAs account is changed.
- The password is not updated on Operations Manager 2007 Management Server.
- The Cross Platform Agent does not discover soft partitions on supported Solaris systems. Therefore, the disk provider is unloaded, and then the Cross Platform Agent stops collecting information from the system disks.
- The Cross Platform Agent does not restart after the supported AIX server restarts.
The following are additional issues that are fixed in the update that is described in this article:
- When the size of a log file becomes smaller than the last time it was scanned, the log file provider repeatedly scans the file and generates old records from the file. This behavior can cause performance issues on AIX-based computers and on Operations Manager 2007 Management Server.
- When Operations Manager 2007 Management Server fails over to another management server, alerts in the log files of the failed server are re-generated, and the CPU load increases significantly.
- The Cross Platform Agent that is installed on a Solaris-based computer stops working when the system configuration is changed. For example, the Cross Platform Agent stops working when disks are added or removed on the Solaris-based computer.
- The Operations Manager 2007 agent stops working on Solaris-based computers. These computers have a hot spare pool but no disk association.
- Operations Manager 2007 Management Server cannot replace display string parameters. This issue occurs when Operations Manager 2007 creates alerts for monitor state changes.
- Operations Manager 2007 generates "disk full" alerts when Unix file system (UFS) CD-ROMs are mounted on a supported version of Solaris.
- Certificates cannot be generated when a new UNIX-based or Linux-based computer is added to the management group.
To resolve the issues that are described in the "Introduction" section, download the update file from the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
Download the package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
To obtain the new Operations Manager 2007 management pack, visit the following Microsoft Download Center Web site:
Download the package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
To apply this update, your computer must be running Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Server or Microsoft Operations Manager 2007 R2 Gateway Server.Note
This update does not apply to management console-only installations.
To install this update, follow these steps:
- Download the update files and the management packs that are mentioned in the "Download information" section. Download the files to a download directory that is located on a local drive or on a shared network drive.
Note The update file that you install should match the platform that is running on the computer.
- If you have Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Server installed, install one of the following files from the download directory. The file that you install should match the platform of the computer.
If you have Operations Manager 2007 R2 Gateway Server installed, install one of the following files from the download directory. The file that you install should match the platform of the computer.
- Import the management packs.
- Use the Operations Manager 2007 R2 Discovery Wizard to re-discover the UNIX and Linux computers. Then, upgrade the agents on those computers.
In Windows Server 2008, run these file at a command prompt that was opened by using the Run as Administrator
option. If you do not run this Windows installer file at an elevated command prompt, the System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Software Update splash screen does not let you install the hotfix.
The management pack update installs SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Management Pack (Microsoft.Linux.SLES.11.MP) in the following folder:
Program Files\System Center Management Packs
This update installs the UNIX and Linux agents in the following folder:
Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\AgentManagement\UnixAgents
The agents that are included with Operations Manager 2007 R2 have the following format:
scx-1.0.4-248-<server type>.<server version>.<architecture>.<package type>
- "<server type>" represents the name of the UNIX or Linux server product.
- "<server version>" represents the version number of the server type.
- "<architecture>" represents the platform of the destination computer.
- "<package type>" represents the installation file type.
The following is an example of the format for an agent of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86-based version):
The agents that are included in Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent Update have a version number 252.
The agents that are included in the update that is described in this article have version number 258. The following is the format of the agents:
scx-1.0.4-258-<server type>.<server version> .<architecture>.<package type>
This update affects the following files. These files can be found in an Operations Manager 2007 R2 installation or in Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cumulative Update 1. Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cumulative Update 1 is described in KB article 974144.
These files are not removed when this update is installed. However, these files are replaced with 1-kilobyte (KB) files. You can remove them manually.
This update also affects the following files. These files can be found in the Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cross Platform Agent Update.
These files are not removed when this update is installed. You can remove them manually. The Discovery Wizard automatically selects the latest version of the UNIX or Linux agent to install.
For more information about System Center, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 979490 - Last Review: February 21, 2010 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
|kbsurveynew atdownload kbexpertiseinter KB979490|