You can unpackage prepackaged hotfixes to test, e-mail, or manually install them. The Graphical User Interface (GUI) Hotfix utility that is used to package hotfixes contains the following undocumented switches (GUI Hotfix utility hotfixes are usually packaged as Qxxxxxx
.exe files, where xxxxxx
is the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q number for the corresponding hotfix):
- /x Generates a list of the packaged files. You can select the files that you want to extract and the location.
- /s Performs a silent installation. This switch stops services and installs the hotfix with no prompts or user interface (UI). You need to allow sufficient time for the hotfix to be installed, because this switch returns control to the command prompt well before the installation is finished. Verify that the hotfix is installed. The GUI Hotfix package Qxxxxxx.exe should be running in the task manager properties, where xxxxxx is the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q number and name of the hotfix.
- /z The same as the /x switch, but the /z switch automatically restarts the computer. Do not use the /z switch unless you want to automatically restart the computer.
- /m Prompts you for the folder locations. You can select the folder locations of the Windows folder, System folder, System32 folder, Temp folder, Source folder (which is usually the Temp folder), System Windows folder, and Language folder.
The following list contains more information about the GUI Hotfix utility switches that are listed in the "Summary" section of this article:
Article ID: 257946 - Last Review: October 26, 2013 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB257946|