Outlook 2002 uses Microsoft Outlook Express as a
newsreader. When you install this component, a News
command is placed on the Go To
command on the View
menu in Outlook.
Configuring the Outlook Express Newsreader
To configure the Outlook Express Newsreader:
- In Outlook, point to Go To on the View menu, and then click News.
- If you connect to the Internet by using a dial-up
connection, type the requested information in the Dial-up Connection dialog box, and then click Connect.
If you connect to the Internet by using a local area
network (LAN) connection, leave this dialog box empty and click Cancel.
- On the Outlook Express Tools menu, click Accounts. Click the News tab, click Add, and then click News.
- In the Internet Connection Wizard, type a name for the news
account in the Display name box. This name represents your
identity in the newsgroups. Click Next.
- In the E-mail address box, type your
e-mail address. Click Next.
- In the News (NNTP) server box, type the
name of the news server that your Internet service provider (ISP) supplied to
you. This name is usually in a format that is similar to "News.domain.net." If
your news server requires you to log on, click to select the My news
server requires me to log on check box. Click Next, click Finish, and then click Close.
- When you are prompted with the following message, click Yes:
Would you like to download newsgroups from the news account you added?
Note If you want to download newsgroups from the news account later,
- In the list of newsgroups, click to select a newsgroup,
click Subscribe, and then click OK. This adds the newsgroup that you selected to the Outlook Express Name pane.
- Double-click the name of a newsgroup to open it and view
Using the Outlook Express Newsreader from Outlook
To use the Outlook Express newsreader from Outlook:
- In Outlook, point to Go To on the View menu, and then click News. This opens Outlook Express.
- In the Folders pane, click a newsgroup to which you have subscribed. This
downloads and displays a list of the messages in this newsgroup.
- Double-click a message to open and read it.
Article ID: 287684 - Last Review: October 25, 2013 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbconfig kbhowto KB287684|