This step-by-step article describes how to use the Word 2003 Support Template to examine Word settings and to make changes to Word settings in the Microsoft Windows Registry.
The following is a list of the options that are available in the Word 2003 Support Template and a brief description of the purpose of each option:
AutoSave-PathSets the folder where the AutoRecovery files are saved.
DOC-PathThe default folder that is used for Word documents.
Picture-PathSets the default path that is used when you point to Picture on the Insert menu, and then click From File.
Startup-PathSets the path for Word startup files, such as templates and .wll files (WLLs) that are loaded when you start Word.
Tools-PathSets a location where Word searches for proofing tools, filters, converters, and other components, if these components are not registered correctly or cannot be found.
User-Dot-PathThe path for user templates. Note that when this setting is changed for Word, the change affects all the Microsoft Office 2003 programs.
Workgroup-Dot-PathThe path for workgroup templates. You can specify a UNC path.
BAK-ExtensionThe default extension that is used for Word backup files. The default extension is *.wbk.
DOC-ExtensionThe default extension that is used for Word document files. The default is *.doc.
DOT-ExtensionThe default extension that is used for Word template files. The default is *.dot.
NoFontMRUListTurns on or turns off the most recently used (MRU) font list.
SpellingWavyUnderlineColorUse this to change the color of the wavy underline that appears under misspelled words.
GrammarWavyUnderlineColorUse this to change the color of the wavy underline that appears under grammar errors.
SmartTagUnderlineColorUse this to change the color of the dotted underline that appears under smart tags.
FormatConsistencyWavyUnderlineColorUse this to change the color of the wavy underline that appears under formatting errors.
OLEDOTSpecifies the document template that is used when you create a document object in Word or in another OLE program.
Install the Support Template
The Word 2003 Support Template makes it easy to make changes to various Word options and is installed when you perform a complete setup. If you installed Word 2003 as an upgrade or typical setup, the Word 2003 Support Template is not installed.
To install the Word 2003 Support Template, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Change or Remove Programs.
- In the Currently installed programs list, click your version of Office 2003 (for example, click Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003), and then click Change.
- Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
- In Custom Setup, click to select the Choose advanced customization of applications
check box, and then click Next.
- In the Choose update options for applications and tools list, follow these steps.
Note Click the plus-sign (+) to the left of the feature to expand it.
- Expand Microsoft Office Word.
- Expand Wizards and Templates.
- Click the icon for More Templates and Macros, and then click Run all from my computer.
- Click Update to install the Word 2003 Support Template.
Create a Shortcut to the Word 2003 Support Template
To create a shortcut to the Word 2003 Support Template, follow these steps:
- Right-click anywhere on your Windows desktop, point to New, and the click Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box, click in the Type the location of the item box, and then type the following default path statement:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Winword.exe" /a "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Macros\Support.dot"Note If you installed Word to a different location, change the default file path accordingly.
- Click Next to continue.
- In the Type a name for this shortcut box, type Support Template, and then click Finish.
When you double-click the shortcut, Word starts in a default condition and opens the Word 2003 Support Template.
Change Word Options
To make changes to Word options, follow these steps:
- Double-click the Support Template shortcut that you created in the Create a Shortcut to the Support Template section.
- In the Word 2003 Support Template, click Registry Options.
- Click the Word Options tab.
- Click to select the option that
you want to change.
Type the new setting in the Setting box (or click
Browse, if it is available), and then click to select the setting that
- Click Change.
- Click Close to close the Set Registry Options dialog box.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Word 2003.
- Click No if you are prompted to save changes.
- Start Word the way that you typically do.
Article ID: 820917 - Last Review: October 29, 2007 - Revision: 5.4
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
|kbproductlink kbhowtomaster KB820917|