When you start a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive the following error message:
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to
Additionally, when you try to download Windows Updates on this computer, you receive the following error message:
Svchost.exe application error. The instruction at "Ox745f2780" referenced memory
at 0x00000000000000. The memory could not be read.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, and then type net stop wuauserv.
- On the desktop, double-click My Computer, and then delete the drive:\WuTemp folder.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type net stop cryptsvc.
- Delete the drive:\Windows\System32\Catroot2 folder.
- Open the drive:\Windows folder, and then rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as SoftwareDistributionOLD.
- Open the drive:\Windows\system32 folder, and then follow these steps:
- Rename the Wuweb.dll file as Wuweb.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuapi.dll file as Wuapi.dll.old.
- Rename the Wuauclt.exe file as Wuauclt.exe.old.
- Rename the Wuaucpl.cpl file as Wuaucpl.cpl.old.
Rename the Wuaueng1.dll file as Wuaueng1.dll.old.
Rename the Wuaueng.dll file as Wuaueng.dll.old.
- Rename the
Wuauserv.dll file as Wuauserv.dll.old.
Rename the Wucltui.dll file as Wucltui.dll.old.
Rename the Wups2.dll file as Wups2.dll.old.
- Rename the
Wups.dll file as Wups.dll.old.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 931852 - Last Review: September 27, 2011 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows Update
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Update
|kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB931852|