Returns and exchanges
Here's how to return or exchange items purchased from Microsoft or Microsoft Store. If you bought a Microsoft product from a source other than Microsoft Store, contact that source to return the item.
Physical goods like a Surface, Xbox controller, virtual reality headset or packaged software may be eligible for return and exchange or refund.
- Sign in to Order history, and then select Request a return. If you don’t see Request a return, your item may not be eligible for a return. For detailed info about the return and refund policy, see Microsoft Terms of Sale.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to get a prepaid shipping label for the return. If you can't get a prepaid shipping label for the return, contact support.
When we receive your item and find it eligible for a return, we’ll either ship you a replacement or issue you a refund.
Digital goods like apps, games, add-on content, subscriptions, movies, TV shows, and books are not returnable unless the offer or applicable law states that you're eligible for a refund.
Digital gift cards and service/subscription cards may be eligible for return. For more info, see Microsoft gift card terms and conditions.
When you make a qualifying return, we'll credit the full amount, less the original shipping and handling charges. Refunds are generally processed within 3–5 business days after we receive your item and find it eligible for a return. Refunds are applied to the original payment option.
If you bought a Microsoft subscription or free trial subscription, including Xbox Live and Office 365, see Cancel or turn off recurring billing on a Microsoft subscription.
If you turn off recurring billing and get charged the following month, you may have turned it off after the expiration date. Subscription recurrence dates and billing dates are different. Get more info about subscription recurrence and billing dates.
See the resources below for more help with Microsoft products and services.
- Find out what to do about unexpected charges from Microsoft.
- Get info about how to prevent unauthorized purchases from Microsoft Store.
- For info about cancelling Microsoft orders and pre-orders, see Cancel an order or pre-order from Microsoft Store.
- See more topics related to Microsoft subscriptions at My subscriptions.
- Read Microsoft Terms of Sale for detailed info about the return and refund policy.
- Visit Microsoft Support for help with products such as Windows 10, Xbox, Office, and more.
- Read Microsoft’s Extended Holiday Returns Policy.
- Post a question in the Microsoft Community.