Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Office Compatibility Pack. These updates include two main categories of fixes:
- Previously unreleased fixes that were made specifically for this service pack. In addition to general product fixes, this includes improvements in stability, performance, and security.
- All the public updates, security updates, cumulative updates, and hotfixes that were released through August 2011.
How to obtain and install the service packs
Method 1: Microsoft Update (recommended)
To download the service pack from Microsoft Update, visit the following Microsoft website:
Enrolling in Microsoft Update is the recommended way to update products to SP3. Microsoft Update will detect which products that you have installed, and then apply all updates to the products.
Method 2: Download the SP3 package from Microsoft Download Center
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the Office Compatibility Pack 2007 SP3 package now.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Known issues and behavior changes
2591067 Known issues that you may experience when you install the 2007 Office suite SP3 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP3
You may also encounter the following issues when you try to install this update:
- The update installation fails.
- The system keeps reminding you to install this update although you already installed it.
- The desktop does not load.
Method 1: Reset Windows Update components and then try updating your computer
To reset the Windows Update components automatically, click the
Fix itbutton or link. Click
File Downloaddialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
Note this Fix it Solution has two modes Default and Aggressive. You should run the Fix it solution in Default mode and determine whether it resolves your problem with Windows Update before you ru it in Aggressive mode.
Note this wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
Note if you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
For more information about how to reset Windows Update components, visit the following Microsoft Website:
971058 How do I reset Windows Update components?
Method 2: Manually download the update from the download link and then install it in clean boot modeWe suggest you to install the updates in clean boot mode to avoid the interruption of non-Microsoft programs. To enter clean boot mode on a computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
- On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
- Under Selective Startup, clear the Load Startup Items check box.
- Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
- Click OK.
- When you are prompted, click Restart.
- Try update your computer again.
Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
For more information about this service pack, including a list of the affected files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2591039 Technical details about the 2007 Office system SP3 releases
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack SP3 does not add support for the following OpenDocument Format file types:
- ODT (Text)
- ODS (Spreadsheet)
- ODP (Presentation)
953331 Description of Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2
Service pack removal
2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 supports removal of client updates by using both the command line and the Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool for the 2007 Microsoft Office suite. The Service Pack Uninstall Tool is available as a separate download. For more information about this tool, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
954914 Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool for the 2007 Microsoft Office suite