Here’s the deal: If you change your country or region in Microsoft Store, the stuff you got in one region might not work in another. This includes:
- Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass
- Apps, games, music purchases, and movie and TV purchases and rentals
- Your payment option, if the provider isn’t in the region
- Money in your Microsoft account balance (the account itself will go with you)
It's best to change your region only if you’re moving to a new country or region for an extended period.
You can’t fix account region errors related to backward compatibility by changing your account region. For more info about backward compatibility, see the Top frequently asked questions about this.
How to change your region
To change your region, use one of the following options:
Change your language and region in Microsoft Store online
Go to Microsoft Store online. At the very bottom of any page, select your current language/region and then select a new one from the list. You can switch back to your original language and region at any time.
Change your region in Windows
When you make your first purchase in the new locale, you'll be prompted to update your billing info.
- Select Start > Settings > Time & Language > Region.
- Under Country or region, select your new region.
- You can switch back to your original region at any time.
Change your country/region on Xbox One
When you make your first purchase in the new region, you'll be prompted to update your billing info.
- Sign in to your Xbox One console.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Settings > All Settings > System > Language & location.
- Select your new location from the Location list, and then select Restart now.
Troubleshooting issues when changing your region
If you can’t change country or region, it might be for one of these reasons:
- You changed the country or region within the last three months.
- Your account is suspended. For example, the credit card on a subscription has expired, or your subscription has a balance due.
- You’re legally a minor in your current country or region and won’t be a minor in the new region, or vice-versa.
The funds in your Microsoft account will not move with you. Be sure to spend the money in your Microsoft account before you change your account location. We can’t transfer money between regions.
- If Xbox Live Gold isn’t available in your new country or region, your current subscription will remain active but might not work anymore. If it doesn’t and you want to stop paying for it, cancel the subscription.
- Your gamertag, unlocked achievements, and the rest of your Xbox profile info all move with you.
- Any time left on your Xbox Live Gold subscription will be moved with your account to the new country or region.
You may discover that you can’t activate Microsoft 365 in a different region from the one you purchased it for. To fix this problem:
- Wait for the existing (other region) Microsoft 365 subscription to expire, assuming the expiration date is very soon.
- Cancel the existing subscription.
In either case, you can't purchase a subscription for your new region until the existing subscription is gone. For more help with this issue, contact Office support.