This article describes the issuesthat are fixed in Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft System Center Data ProtectionManager 2019. This article also contains the installationinstructions for this update.
Note: Existing Data ProtectionManager to Microsoft Azure customers should apply the mandatory update of Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent version 2.0.9190.0 or above and verify the encryption passphrase using the steps provided in this KB article. If the latest agent is not installed, online backup and recovery mayfail, and no Data Protection Manager to Microsoft Azure operation will work.
Issues that are fixed
This update fixes the followingissues:
- Astale file entry in the ActiveOwner folder breaks VMware protection.
- Baremetal backups running longer than 24 hours will time out. Registry key added tothe protected server to extend the timeout: Refer Issue 1 in More Information section for more details.
- DiskUtilization Report was not reflecting Modern Backup Storage usage.
- Insome scenarios, re-protecting an inactive workload re-calculates the requireddisk space to be excessively large
- InSQL Always On configuration with a Failover cluster backup, sometimes the backupswill fail because the backup preferences are not honored.
- ModifyProtection Group operation may take a long time, while protecting large numberof client machines in a single protection group
- Preand Post Backup scripts don’t work with RCT based Hyper-V workloads
- Consistencycheck for deduped enabled NTFS volumes fails with error: ID30134 Details: Cannot create a file when that file already exists (0x800700B7)
- SharePointbackup fails when SQL server is different domain than the front-end SharePointserver. Refer Issue 2 in More Information section for additional details.
- In Modify Protection group wizard, changing retentionsettings will result in changes to the backup schedule
- DPM console crashes when attempting restore withthrottling on clustered VMs
- Hyper-VVM protection fails when the total size of the VM file name and DPM mount path ismore than 256 characters
- If a vCenter server is protected with a Windows agent,and if the same server is added as a VMware server, the console crashes
- Ifthe remote DPM UI version is lower than the DPM version, the remote UI may crash
- Insome cases, the DPM UI can become unresponsive on the Protection tab and while browsingthrough protection groups
- In addition to these, all the issues fixed in SC DPM 2016 Update Rollup 9 and prior UR for DPM 2016 are also includedin SC DPM 2019 UR2.
Other Improvements and Features
- SCDPM 2019 UR2 also hasadditional new features introduced. For details on the new features refer tothe documentation here.
- Sometimes, DPM console might notdisplay Protection Group details in the Details pane. Learnmore.
Note: A fresh installation of theUpdate Rollup Agent could cause a restart of the protected server.
How to obtain Update Rollup 2 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2019
Update packages for Data ProtectionManager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an updatepackage from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that hasa Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website tomanually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how todownload Microsoft support files, click the following article number to viewthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 Howto obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file forviruses, using the most current virus-detection software that was available onthe date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhancedservers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to it.
Installation instructions for Data Protection Manager
To install this updatefor Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the DataProtection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running SystemCenter Data Protection Manager 2019. To do this, run Microsoft Update on theserver.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update theprotection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Note: You need torestart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups.
Method 1: Update theprotection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then clickthe Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select acomputer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2: Update theprotection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the updated protection agent package from the installationdirectory of the System Center Data Protection Manager 2019 server at followingpath: agents\RA\10.19.379.0\amd64\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4563392.msp
- Run the DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on eachprotected server.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on theSystem Center Data Protection Manager server 2019.
- Click the Management tab, and then clickthe Agents tab. Select the protected server, refresh theinformation, and then verify that the agent version number is 10.19.379.0
Baremetal backups running longer than 24 hours will time out. Toresolve this issue, make sure you install this UR. Then add following registrykey to increase the timeout value. The default value is 24 hours. You canincrease up to 72 hours.
Add the followingregistry key on the protected server to increase the timeout value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftData Protection Manager\Workloads\System State Writer
If the SQL Databaseserver for SharePoint farm is in different domain than SharePoint farm, theprotection of SharePoint farm may fail. This happens when the NetBIOS name ofSQL server was used during SharePoint installation instead of FQDN. Toresolve this issue either you can reinstall SharePoint farm by specifying FQDN ofthe SQL Server or use following registry key. You first need to install thisUpdate Rollup package on the DPM Server
Add the followingregistry key on all the SharePoint Web Front End Servers,
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftData Protection Manager\Agent\Sharepoint
Value: <Domain nameof the SQL Server>