Your Microsoft account lets you manage Microsoft services and subscriptions, like Xbox Live, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype, and Windows 10, from a single account.
You can add up to 10 email addresses or phone numbers to your Microsoft account. Email addresses and phone numbers that are associated with your Microsoft account are called aliases and they use the same contacts, online storage, subscriptions, and account settings. Each alias lets you sign in to all your Windows 10 devices and services that use the Microsoft account.
Your aliases share a single password, and you can send and receive email with each. Your primary alias will be the username you use to sign in to your account, the username that appears on your Windows 10 devices, and how you show up to recipients in email.
You can make changes to the email addresses or phone numbers (aliases) that are associated with your Microsoft account. Here are some reasons you might want to make changes:
- You want to add or remove an email address or phone number.
- You want to use a different email address or phone number to sign in.
- You want a different username to appear on your Windows 10 devices.
- You want an email address you can give to other companies or other people that can't be used to sign in to your account or access your info.
- You received the “Which account do you want to use” message at sign-in.
- If you're trying to change your Outlook email account or change your email password, see Add or remove an email alias in Outlook.com or Change or update your email password.
- To learn how to change which account sends email in Outlook.com, see Add your other email accounts to Outlook.com.
- If you have questions about your email account, see Get help with Outlook.com.
The following sections provide the steps that you need to change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account. Select the one that best fits your scenario.