Follow these steps to automatically diagnose and repair common USB issues:
- Select the Download button on this page.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the Windows USB Troubleshooter .
- This troubleshooter might be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for versions of Windows in other languages.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the troubleshooter to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
What it fixes
- USB audio, storage, and print devices—such as thumb drives, USB hard drives, and USB printers—that do not eject using the Safely Remove Hardware dialog box.
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Article ID: 17614 - Last Review: Jun 7, 2016 - Revision: 9