Before you can connect to a VPN, you’ll need to a get a VPN profile on your phone. Here are two ways to get one:
- Create a VPN profile on your own.
- Set up a work account to get a VPN profile from your company.
Create a VPN profile
If you don't have a VPN profile on your phone, you'll need to create one. Before you start:
- If it’s for work, see if you can find the VPN settings and/or a VPN app on your company’s intranet site when you’re at work, or contact your company's support person.
- It it’s for a VPN service you subscribe to for your own use, visit Windows Store to see if there’s an app for that service, and go to the VPN service’s website to see if the VPN connection settings to use are listed there.
- On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, then select Settings > Network & wireless > VPN > Add a VPN connection.
- In Add a VPN connection, do the following:
- For VPN provider, choose Windows (built-in).
- In the Connection name box, type a friendly name for the VPN connection profile.
This is the VPN connection name to look for when you go to connect.
- In the Server name or address box, type the address for the VPN server.
- For VPN type, choose the type of VPN connection you want to create.
Again, you’ll need to know which kind of VPN connection your company or VPN service uses.
- For Type of sign-in info, choose the type of sign-in info (also called credentials) to use.
It might be a user name and password, one-time password, certificate, or maybe a smart card if you’re connecting to a VPN for work.
- If you like, enter your user name and password in the respective boxes.
Connect to a VPN
After you have a VPN profile, you’re ready to connect.
- On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, then select Settings > Network & wireless > VPN.
- Select the VPN connection you want to use > Connect.
- If prompted, enter your user name and password or other sign-in info.
When you’re connected, the VPN connection name will say Connected underneath.
The icons at the top of your screen will show you when you're connected to the VPN. This icon
Article ID: 20512 - Last Review: Aug 31, 2016 - Revision: 18